Saturday, March 15, 2008

So Sore...So Sore...

Well, it's official. My fragile ego has been shattered. And I'm in a lot of physical pain. When did my body get this old?

I got a call a couple days ago from one of the girls in my old ward (I was her leader in Young Womens). She is on the varsity basketball team for her school and her team made it to their state tournaments next weekend. Their coach is trying to run through all their offenses/defenses to make sure it's pounded in their head, but only has 8 girls on the team, and for those of you that don't know this and seriously need to watch more basketball, you need 10 (5 on 5) for a scrimage. So, knowing that I played basketball back in my glory days she volunteered me to come play with them this week and next until their tourney. I agreed, wanting to meet the head coach any way because I had heard they were looking for a new coach for their JV program next year, and showed up Thursday.

Well, long story short, after two days of playing with those girls, I feel as though I've been hit by a truck. Not to mention, the first day I'm not sure I ran more than five minutes with them and was literally holding back my urge to throw up all over the floor. Pathetic, I know. My 18-year-old self would be calling me all sorts of names for letting me get this out of shape, but it's given me new motivation to get back out on the court. After all, at 23 I can't imagine giving in to the notion that I have peaked on my physical abilities. The best news is, however, that I'm not there to be a good basketball player, I'm there to help the girls out, so at least all expectations of my basketball skills are decreasing low---right where I want them.

Jake's pretty happy because he remembers my athletic figure when we started dating and is excited to see if this ole' body can't return to it's original shape. I'll let you know how THAT turns out! :)

1 comment:

Julia said...

umm seeing that i've never been in shape..i always want to throw up after five minutes of running. haha good for you though...that's awesome that you were able to do it. sounds like a great work out..and maybe the whole JV thing would turn into something..that'd be awesome.