Tuesday, March 18, 2008

Happy Belated St. Patty's


I meant to post something cute and fun on St. Patrick's Day...but what can I say? I didn't. So, instead, I'll post a belated St. Patty's Day tribute and that way it will give me something to write about. Why the sudden interest in a holiday I have hardly ever observed? (Okay...I do make an effort to wear green, and when I was in junior high I would wear red too because supposedly if you wear red you're supposed to get kissed instead of pinched.)

In any case, I have recently had a sparked interest in family history (only because it's already done for my whole Barrus side and I just get to read all the cool stories) and found that most of that side came from, you guessed it, Ireland. So, with that, enjoy some fun facts below that I found about the Irish.

*St. Patrick's Day marks the Roman Catholic feast day for Ireland's patron saint, who died in the 5th century. St. Patrick (Patricius in Latin) was not born in Ireland, but in Britain.

*34 million Americans have Irish ancestry, according to the 2003 US Census. That’s almost nine times the population of Ireland, which has 4.1 million people.

*According to the Guinness Book of World Records, the highest number of leaves found on a clover is 14!

*One estimate suggests that there are about 10 000 regular three-leaf clovers for every lucky four-leaf clover.

*Legend says that each leaf of the clover means something: the first is for hope, the second for faith, the third for love and the fourth for luck.

*The harp is the symbol of Ireland. The color green is also commonly associated with Ireland, also known as “the Emerald Isle.”

1 comment:

Julia said...

good for you for getting into family history. i love doing it. i just pick it up every once in awhile, work on it a lot, then drop it for a couple months...but yeah it's fun. like a big puzzle. funny about the wearing red and getting kissed...i've never heard that before. that is sooo emmett. haha