Tuesday, January 8, 2008

No one can say I didn't try

Last night around six, in the midst of a pretty big snowfall, I get a call from Jake and find out that he's working late and has to meet me at the gym for our tennis game at 7:30. Of course, when I found out I would be on my own for dinner all motivation to cook went right out the window.
So to occupy my time, I decide to go out and plow the driveway. In the two years of living at this place and owning a 4-wheeler with a homemade plow courtesy of Jake's engineering and hard work (he claims it's much better than the ones you can purchase and it was at a fraction of the cost) I have never started up this thing and ran it myself. Jake has given me the tutorial numerous times on how to start it in the cold, how to operate the plow, etc. but only 1/3 of that stuck.
After bundling up, complete with my snow pants I have maybe worn five times since living here, I go out, find the key in our secret hidden spot, and attempt to start it. As expected, the weather was very cold and the 4-wheeler wouldn't start. I try a few different buttons hoping it's the choke---but to no avail. FINALLY, after about twenty minutes of trying to just find the dang choke I locate it, and the tutorials come rushing back. Within thirty seconds, I have the 4-wheeler up and running, and while I'm trying to maneuver the machine through our porch posts out into the driveway, I look forward to see how the front is going to clear. As it was the first time I took a second to actually look forward, I quickly realized that there wasn't a plow on the front. My heart sank when I looked at the wall and see a very detached plow leaning against it. Then I remember Jake had taken it off last weekend to help Dad load up some firewood at an empty lot.
Oh well, I had the best intentions to do quite the deed for Jake...but I failed. No one can say I didn't try!! I guess in the future plowing the driveway will remain his sole responsibility.

No comments: