Wednesday, December 26, 2007

Can Hardly Wait

I discovered this Christmas that when my parents don't have children living at home (this is also their first Christmas as empty nesters, even though their nest wasn't empty as we practically lived there all weekend) they, in particular my father, are too impatient to wait until Christmas day to open up presents. The day before Christmas Eve, Dad persuaded Mom to open up one of two of her gifts from him, so she could "fully appreciate" the movie night with her new heated pillow with little massager balls. Then, as Christmas Eve came to a close, Mom gave in and had Dad open one of his smaller gifts, which she thought was a Blu-Ray DVD (which would then give away the bigger still wrapped gift of a Blu-Ray DVD player) but after opening it, he found it wasn't in fact the Blu-Ray disc, but the DVD game of Who Wants to Be a Millionaire (which, by-the-way, is one of the lamest games ever produced.) So, too anxious to stop now, Mom made Dad open his other small gift, the Blu-Ray disc. Of course, then Jake threw his hat in the lets-not-wait-until-Santa-comes wagon by pressuring Dad to open his last and final gift from Mom so the disc could be played on the Blu-Ray player (boys and their high definition). After we got home Jake was so excited about the gift opening extravaganza at Mom and Dad's he wanted me to open all my gifts from him, and his from me. Needless to say, I didn't have a single gift to open come Christmas morning. At least I have the presents from my sibling gift exchange coming in January so I will have a little post-Christmas surprise...I just can't help but wonder how Jake will hold up to the constant begging of our future children who get their lack of patience from their father during Christmastime. Am I the only one that enjoys a little bit of anxiety until Christmas morning? Oh well, it's the child in him that I can't help but love.

No comments: