Monday, April 21, 2008

Happy Birthday, Jonathan!!




Just wanted to write a quick blurb about my big brother, Jonathan, as it is his 26th birthday today. I wish I could put up some insanely unflattering pictures of him when he was youner, but all my baby pictures are still in a box in Idaho, and this is all I could offer---and even these I had to get off of my sister-in-law's facebook! Jonathan, we definately have to break out the camera next time we're together.
But I digress. Jonathan is my closest sibling in age (2 1/2 years) and the only brother or sister I ever shared a school with. All those girls out there that were freshman in high school when their brothers were seniors can relate---it wasn't always easy! However, even with his serious over-protective nature he discovered and the many clashes it caused in my attempts to flirt with the older boys in school, we both survived this experience with all limbs still firmly attached.
There was many a time Jonathan and I would act beyond goofy and do things we would never get caught dead doing in front of anybody else---rock out to backstreet boys, make up awesome dance moves and try them out on the living room coffee table, etc, but that's what's so great about him; there is never a dull moment and he's always up for a good time. That's his trademark in the family---taking everything one step further to get a rise out of us. This is a great trait to have in a big family, and even at 26 he's takes center stage because of he's willing to do or say anything, and I mean anything, to make us laugh. I will never forgive him for sharing horrifying moments in my childhood at my wedding luncheon, but everybody (including me) was hysterical by the time he finished, so it was hard to stay mad for too long.
Thanks brother for being such a great example to me, for showing me that no matter what, you can always make good decisions and that there's always redemption for the bad ones. I was lucky to have a brother serving a faithful mission during my critical years I spend at a crossroads and didn't know what I wanted in life, and will never forget the many e-mails and letters that truly inspired me to stand up for what I believed in. Simple phrases like "Keep the Faith" and "Go Big or Swim Home" made me realize who I wanted to be and where I needed my path in life to go.
Sure love and miss you like crazy Jonathan! HAPPY BIRTHDAY!

2 comments:

Julia said...

that's right today is his birthday. tell him i said happy birthday. great little tribute. :)

Anonymous said...

Wasn't it Jonathan that ratted us out to John Carlson when we tried to toilet paper his house senior year??? That snake!!! Ah well, happy birthday anyways Jon.