Wednesday, September 24, 2008

Rain Rain Go Away

AGH! This last summer has appropriately been named "A Bummer of a Summer", but this is getting ridiculous. I can count on one hand how many times the temperatures flirted with the 70s, but that's not even what's gotten my undies in a twirl. I CANNOT STAND THE RAIN ANY LONGER!
If you could choose the worst possible summer to try to build a house, I would nominate this one. It has been a never ending game of waiting until the rain stops for a few hours, running home from the office, changing into grungy clothes and rushing through the siding, roofing, or painting on the outside until the rain begins again. The other night I was so desperate when we finally had a clear day that lasted into the night I used my Dad's incredibly bright utility lamp and painted half the trim on my house well into the dark hours just because it wasn't raining. Nothing like painting by flashlight to brighten your spirits.
In any case, for a status report on the house, the siding is on with the exception of the cedar shake accents we are using on the top of the cables (you can tell where the accent siding will be in the picture where plywood remains), the exterior paint has been finished (even though the picture below is pre-paint) and the front door has been trimmed out. The front door is my favorite part of the outside of this house, and it looks fantastic with base color and trim painted on it. Once I finish painting the actual door, I'll post more pictures next week. For now, here is a before and somewhat recent picture on the progress. If any of you know where I can match the original purple siding with the pink accent trim, I would greatly appreciate it. I think that will be the most missed feature from the original house.
So, it's on to the roof to finish the outside and then we'll be done with our fight with mother nature (this year). In the meantime, be sure to do any anti-rain dances you might know of and send the clear skies up our way...
BEFORE


AS OF LAST WEEK

3 comments:

Leah said...

Wow, that is a big change! I have never seen pictures of your house, so it is a real treat to see the before and after. We can't wait to see you guys in 2 1/2 weeks!!!!

Jeri Short Gurney said...

Here I am like I promised! It will be great to check up on you guys. The house looks great by the way!

Lindsay JJ said...

Hey Bonnie, it is obvious from your last post why you haven't been blogging at all. Hope the house is coming along nice and fast. We will have to come by and see all the progress.